Wednesday, August 17, 2005

One Man's Trash

So I was out today garbage picking. Garbage picking, or scrounging, or whatever you wish to call it, is viewed by some as a somewhat unsavoury occupation. It is usually considered such only, I think, by those who have rather more standards than good sense, but I digress.

As I was out pawing through other people’s cast off effects, I began to notice a disturbing pattern. Almost every piece of electronic or otherwise electrically operated rubbish had suffered the curious amputation of its power cord. I had encountered this particular form of disease before, and at first thought little of it. It is usually only sporadic outside of areas populated by selfish upper middle class people. However, when it became obvious that the infection was much more serious than this, I began to become angry.

Clearly, a large number of people had decided that, while they no longer wished to make use of their household implements, they could not abide by anyone more enterprising or conservation-minded to do so either. They had, as a result, deliberately mutilated their garbage so as to make it unusable by honest hard working garbage pickers such as myself! As I said, I have seen such things before. Along with cord-cutting, many house owners will slash cushions on otherwise whole couches; decapitate golf clubs; and separate drawers from dressers, throwing the one out first and the other afterwards.

It occurred to me, as it has often in the past, what a great number of sickeningly selfish people there are in this world. It takes, I think, a very distinct form of perversion for a person to wish not only to throw out perfectly useful and functional items (instead of, say, donating them to goodwill), but for that person to also destroy the item solely to ensure that nobody else will be able to get a use out of it. Indeed, were I, or, I think, anyone of moderately decent bent, to cast off a couch I no longer liked, I would be overjoyed, not irritated, to see it put to use by someone else.

Now, a person is well within his or her rights to do what he or she will to his or her own garbage (enough gender-neutral pronouns for you?). On this point I do not wish to attempt any dispute. No legislation would I support which made defacing one’s garbage a crime. It should be noted, however, that what one does within one’s rights is nonetheless indicative of one’s character, and on that I will sit in judgement. A racist exercising freedom of speech is still a worthless cockroach of a human being; if I may say that without being unduly cruel to the cockroach (The cockroach being an exceptionally well evolved member of the food chain, I think it tends to get rather a bad rap. Perhaps other species are merely jealous).

This is the sort of thing that just makes me shake my head and wonder how all these humans can really be the same species as I.

Thought for the Day:

“Selfishness for gain is pernicious but understandable. Selfishness when one gains nothing by it is senseless and unforgivable”

- The Doom of Fools

1 Comments:

Anonymous Tejas said...

I haven't come across what you say in your post, at least not yet. But I don't dispute it at all - knowing how people are, things like what you mention are bound to happen.

Humans have a long way to go.

August 22, 2005 at 10:38 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home